Re: [LUG] HDMI Woes again

On 04/10/17 18:15, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I thought I had cracked the whole hdmi thing but it all went **** up! So
> I bought a separate card to see if that would help. Installed and at
> first great but now the card is not recognised and so no hdmi. I have
> installed Fedora on my laptop to give it a quick test. I would like to
> get to the bleeding edge that Mr Meowski was suggesting. Do I need to do
> anything please?
>
> I am running Fedora 26, kernel 4.11.8-300.fc26.x86_64
>
> Is that bleeding edge please?

Wow, you really can't catch a break on this can you?

What card did you buy first? Make and model please.

For comparison from a reference Fedora VM:

[ghost@nullbot ~] $ cat /etc/fedora-release; uname -r
Fedora release 26 (Twenty Six)
4.12.14-300.fc26.x86_64

Have you not upgraded the system since installing? You might not be very
used to Fedora so in case you don't know, in a terminal do:

sudo dnf update

Which is similar to "apt update && apt dist-upgrade" in Debian land.
Reboot afterwards to activate the newer 4.12 series kernel which while
not really bleeding edge, is comparatively newer than Ubuntu currently
offers.

To be fair the new Ubuntu 17.10 will be out in a few more days which
should come with a good bump in software revisions for most subsystems,
including the graphics and kernel bits you're interested in. Never hurts
to try different distros though.

Cheers