Re: [LUG] Default Browser

On 19/09/17 14:43, Neil wrote:
I don't like having FF as the default browser. So in my settings for preferred applications I have put another browser. Fine.

However, working with my laptop today, checking FF for something, I accidentally clicked on the preference to make FF my default browser. Now I can't find how to cancel that. The settings for the preferred applications has not changed, but is now being ignored.

FF is very sneaky, it shows you in bold under preferences if it is not set as the default. But, if you do make it the default, by mistake or otherwise, it does not show any way to cancel it.

Can anyone tell me how to undo that error? I am happy to use about:config if needed. If all else fails, I will remove FF altogether. I rarely use it anyway,

thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

You cannot, AFAIK deselect being default from within any program itself, but you can tell another to supersede it. All browsers - as far as I know - check if they are the default at launch. Perhaps your preferred browser is not checking? I would check its preferences, make sure it checks at launch and then, obviously, click Yes when it asks.

Kind regards,

Julian