[LUG] 20170914 Help please. Video Editor for creating You Tube Videos both on and off topic., MS and Linux

To DC LUG,
20170914 Help please Video Editor
I have followed the discussion on video editing, which I do not do so
start as a person knowing nothing about it.

is available in Linux  for this kind of program video creating/editing
and which distro is best for this kind of work.

I have watched many videos on YouTube  (TED talks etc.) however I have
never though about their creation.
Currently in a class about computer use, I am teaching, there  is one
student (retired age) who has made some YouTube Videos about walks and
gardens from still photographs and short videos of gardens using an MS
Windows old deprecated program "Microsoft Movie Maker" to make a
presentation using video, photographs and music.
It does the job but he would like to try other âfreeâ alternatives that
may offer more control of photographs.
His Computer Toshiba L750/L755; RAM: 6GB, Windows 10 Home.
No details on video card but this is a converted Windows 7 machine.

I have adjusted his computer so it boots a Live Linux Distro, so he has
a concept of the world outside MS Windows.
He is prepared to use an external hard disc with a Linux program.
For still photo editing I have offered him GIMP, but you may know a
better program. Please advise.
GIMP is a useful still photo editing program [with a steep learning
curve I find as I have only used it lightly].

I understand MS Windows 10 in next iteration Version 1703 will  replace
the old deprecated "Microsoft Movie Maker" with "Story Remix" albeit it
is not visible on the machine I have running Win10Pro-Ver1703.

He seeks a free program which is good for making YouTube Videos and can
incorporate photographs, short videos and sound into a YouTube Video, as
well as sound clips  (mp4?) incorporated into YouTube video.

He is quite willing to try any other free MS Windows programs AND also
any free Linux software if it works.

May I have your advice: for both MS Windows programs and what is
available in Linux  for this kind of program video creating/editing and
which distro is best for this kind of work.

Searches I did did not give many clues, and I would like advice from
those who have made videos. (Lots of recommendations for purchased Adobe
software, but he seeks free programs)

Many thanks in advance.

--
regards