Re: [LUG] Debian 9 reinstall. UEFI stuckness

On 02/08/17 10:06, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> That all makes sense, but ...
> I looked up the purchase - the main board; processor; current RAM was
> bought in 2011.
> Estimating it's running hours, they are similar to the MTBF.
> So, it lacks some modern features, and the box is going back to the shop
> for some electrical tests and  at least a new mainboard; RAM; CPU set.
> Most of the rest is younger and may yet be saved.
>
> i7 or AMD equivalent and 32 or 16 GBytes depending how hard I wince at
> the quote I think.
>
> ... the AMD equivalent... Good stuff?
>
> Being GPT would account for Grub being unable to install in the MBR
> perhaps.  If so it could have said.

To be fair it *did* work so the Grub2-efi component was initially fine
in Stretch's preferred default of UEFI+GPT: when it started crashing you
reset the firmware back to BIOS which effectively kicked the feet out
from under the system and rendered it unbootable. You're going to run
into the exact same issues with your new system by the way so now is
probably a good time to start familiarising yourself with the whole
modern way of doing things. Your new hardware may not even offer the
option of falling back to BIOS mode (good!).

As you presumably don't care about traditional Windows gaming single
core maximum performance metrics, you are the perfect market for the new
AMD Ryzen CPUs. Depending on how much you want to spend, I wouldn't
worry too much about 16 vs 32 Gb of DDR4 RAM, that's a comparatively
tiny cost. I'd be looking at the very soon to be released massively
parallel AMD Threadripper CPU + X390 workstation motherboard platform if
I were you: add a workstation class (not a lame 'consumer' GPU) graphics
card, install ECC RAM and a NVME SSD and you'll be in business.

Cheers