Re: [LUG] OT: What are people's thoughts on this?!

On 21/07/17 15:16, mr meowski wrote:
On 21/07/17 14:13, Daniel Robinson wrote:
Hi just found this on Amazon.
http://amzn.eu/13DvVxt

Can anyone tell me if we'd be able to run pfsense on it?
Doesn't look like it - Mediatek SoC with explicit support for custom
builds of OpenWRT+DDWRT seems to be the only supported firmware (so
far). pfSense is of course FreeBSD based and the FreeBSD HCL is here:

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.3R/hardware.html

What are you planning on using it for, apart from the obvious? Something
like an APU* would probably serve you better as a small standalone unit
and if you're looking for VPN on the move then a laptop would be a more
flexible and robust endpoint.

Mind you at that price - Â22 - I'd probably just buy one anyway to play
about with.

Cheers

* http://www.pcengines.ch/index.htm

I've just ordered a similar thing only made (?) by HooToo https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I00J8DW/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_2 , as you say, just to play with. Maybe beef up the wifi in remoter parts of the house, share a disk, who knows?