[LUG] Help

I do not contact you very often but I really could do with your help.
I had two versions of Ubuntu a 12.04 and a newer Lubunto (16.04 I think) on another hard disc. The reason was that was unable to install my perfectly good and cheap to run HP 1020 on the newer version and unable to install a newer recently acquired epson scanner to the older version. I treid again to install HPLIP to my newert version and keep seeming to installit but when using it and it saying it has printed nothing has happened I get a similar problem trying to reinstall it to the older version as it was not working well and slowly. Igot an error message at the end of the process something about cheksum not being correct or compatible. I cannot find how to correct this - and now I have lost the printer actually printing. Just no sheet get printed. Now I also get some error message about a tray missing - no indication of how to re-install that!

Then decided to install a newer version on the other hard disc - the latest Kubunto 17.0?. However This has no means to re-connect to the internet. No settings for my email although it says something about Kmail as a default but I amunable to set it up and when i can get to it I would prefer Firebird. Mozilla Thunderbird is installed but when I try it it says cuts out my router connection - and no where I can put in my Talk Talk details. I am desperate - no cheap printer and no connection to the internent. When I tried to pputb inn the HP 1020 when trying the Kubunto I could not get it to work either

If any of you can help with any of these problems I would appreciate it greatly. (i hope it doesn't mean I have to join google!!)

--
Life, love, peace and freedom
Pete (Le M)