Re: [LUG] nhs cyber attack

> On 12 May 2017, at 18:49, daniel Phillips <danielphillips50@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Forgive me for not knowing the current IT circumstances within government and the
> NHS. But wouldn't switching to an OSS alternative in fact save them millions and
> still be a little more secure then the systems they have in place at present?  I
> have read other countries are leading the way and switching to OSS and standards.
> Do you think our government should have got on this band wagon a long time ago?

no

The $ cost per os licence is trivial compared with the over head of installs,
patching and app compatibility.

and thats why enterprises choose MS ... the release cycle is 5-10 years, which means
the test and redow cycle is 5-10 years. With opens source is't 6-12 months.

Can you imagine the cost of having to do full environment testing for custom apps
every 6 months?

... I don't think the NHS even knows what continuous integration is. I'd put money
on some critical apps are still COBOL.