Re: [LUG] Changing User ID.

On 03/05/17 22:12, Julian Hall wrote:

> Yes I can thanks, in the copied folder on the desktop.

Excellent, progress at last.

> Should I now try
> those commands on the original folder, and others with office files?
> Incidentally it's /only/ office files behaving like this.

Not if you value your sanity and/or your files. From a brief poke around
it looks like Libre/Open Office might do some kind of weird UID check
but I can't really be bothered digging into it, especially as the answer
to that is to have correct permissions in the first place anyway.

Do NOT be tempted to bruteforce "fix" your permissions issues by
chmodding your entire /home to 777 - you will regret it.

When you've got time we'll use some more shell commands to find all the
files and folders with odd permissions and rights set, and then correct
them locally first. Preferably on copies, and then when they're all
working properly, we can toss the originals. Then it's on to fixing up
your NFS stuff so this doesn't happen again.

Cheers