Re: [LUG] Mini desktop computers

On 21/04/17 11:26, M. J. Everitt via list wrote:

I have seen the likes of the Gigabyte 'nettops' eg.
http://www.ebuyer.com/716608-gigabyte-brix-bxbt-2807-ultra-compact-pc-kit-gb-bxbt-2807-250-4
for a couple of years now, and thought they would be a decent basic, or
even a headless box if you want-/needed such a thing. Not so sure
whether they are so cost-effective, and they are definitely a one-shot
solution .... but then if you're installing *buntu and go .. then does
it really matter?!?!

Modern CPUs and power-management mean that the mobile processors don't
consume a lot of power, nor create the ensuing waste heat unless you're
doing constant video-encoding or such-like, so there should be less
wastage (and the whole box is probably a bit more efficient than one's
Average PC of the 90s .. ).

MJE

I have just looked at one that is about 4 inches by 4 and a half inches, and it has 10 ports. Amazing. I am beginning to think that the mania for getting smaller and smaller has got out of hand.

Neil