Re: [LUG] Holsworthy Meeting

On 15/04/17 08:13, Neil via list wrote:

>>> Looking forward to seeing you. I will be asking questions about my
>>> inability to get to the BIOS on my desktop computer, but I will not be
>>> bringing it to the meeting. Big Apple has given me a list of
>>> instructions and I will bring a print out of it with me. I think it
>>> would be too difficult to do anything like that at the pub.
>>
>> I know it's not my computer and I'm of course not going to this meeting
>> but... MJE is a long time Gentoo user and anyone who can put up with
>> that is pretty much a dead cert for a quick BIOS tweak like this Neil. I
>> remember you saying that it was a pain getting all the cables plugged in
>> for your desktop but if you take a couple of decent well-lit phone
>> camera pics of the back first (you could even label up the cables and
>> ports if you're feeling super-organised) and then sling your box in the
>> car for the meeting, I estimate that it will probably take him all of
>> about 2 minutes tops to sort it for you. Especially as he's even
>> prepared to bring along all the peripherals as well!
>>
>> It's funny to vouch for someone I've never met but MJE obviously knows
>> what he's doing to be fair. As long as you can handle plugging the thing
>> back in once you get it home it sounds like a win to me.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Your friend as always, "Big Apple"
>>
> Thanks for that. One thing is that we meet in a local pub, and there
> will be plenty of customers there. Not the ideal situation for messing
> about with a computer.
>
> And, secondly, I live by car about two minutes from the pub so if I
> talk nicely to Michael maybe he could come round for a short time and
> sort me out.
>
> Just a thought,
>
> Neil

The thought had crossed my mind Neil ...

And that's a fine indict-*cough*-endorsement of my skills from that
there Mr Meowski ... although trust be told, the engineer side of me has
indeed had the covers off far too many things in my relatively short
lifetime ..

As for Gentoo, well, whilst it has/is coming along even in the near-7
years I've been using it .. there's a lot going on under the hood, and a
*lot* to learn about how each cog in the machine turns!

Best regards,
Michael.