From: list [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martin Gautier via list
Sent: 15 March 2017 16:10
To: DCLUG <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LUG] VMWare vs Virtualbox

Is it just me or does Virtualbox seem to perform better than VMWare Workstation
under Ubuntu?

I've been virtualising Desktop OSes for 5-6 years using VMWare and historically been
successful. The last 18 months or so with various versions of Ubuntu and VMWare on
my host I've found the performance of my host and guests to be massively slow - both
freezing with loads of disk activity but no obvious processes hogging my cycles.

This week I bit the bullet, installed Virtualbox and created a new Win7 guest -
latest patches, Office 2016 and Adobe Photoshop 2017.

It whizzes along quite happily and doesn't effect the host at all.

I'm considering migrating fully but the thought of having Oracle software on my PC
grates somewhat...

Martin