[ Date Index ] [ Thread Index ] [ <= Previous by date / thread ] [ Next by date / thread => ]
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017, Simon Waters wrote:
Reports suggest they had a laser cutter and a laser printer.Some thermoplastics will produce cyanide gas when burnt/cut, although cyanide and carbon monoxide are both common in household fires so they don't have to be exclusive. Vent fires carefully.
I found out a bit more about this case - they were using a badly made kickstarter (ish) project (forgotten the exact name), but it didn't come with a blower, extractor, etc. and they were cutting/engraving card - they'd left it running and went to bed...
Laser cutters should not be left alone - ever. I've seen cutters that have caught fire. (Usually during engraving when one axis sticks AIUI) Pimoroni (maker of millions of lasercut Pibow, etc. cases) have had a few fires - they also have 6 big machines which are in-use constantly though.
My cutter has a big extractor fan and 150mm hose which goes out the window when in-use.
I've just had a quick look on kickstarter - and I'm somewhat dissapointed at what I'm seeing )-:
e.g. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1537608281/lazerblade-the-affordable-laser-cutter-engraverNo extractor fan, no protection... Run that in your home/office and the stink will be fairly unbearable - not to mention the toxic fumes.
Gordon -- The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG https://mailman.dclug.org.uk/listinfo/list FAQ: http://www.dcglug.org.uk/listfaq