[LUG] Open computing milestone at Plymouth University

Although I knew a couple of people at Plymouth University who had got
Linux onto their standard work-issue PCs ('PLYMDESK'), they'd done
this without knowledge of the university's IT services. This had
required some ingenuity, as these machines general don't boot from DVD
or USB, and the BIOS is password protected. If you ask for the
password, you're usually told you can't have it (I was).

So... I thought I'd see if I could get Linux onto my work machine with
the full knowledge of IT services, through their official support
systems. Long story short... I could! An IT guy came and changed the
boot order so the machine would boot from the DVD drive. I then
installed Ubuntu 16.04 (with dual boot to Windows 7) on the machine
myself with no difficulties.

Plymouth University don't provide tech support for Linux as a desktop
environment (only for Windows 7, plus OS X for a minority of use
cases), so I'm on my own in that regard, but that's OK. It still feels
like an important milestone for increased acceptance of open computing
at the University.

All the best

Andy