Re: [LUG] Powerbank PB 12000A and a Raspberry Pi

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Richard Brown wrote:

Hi

I am hoping to use this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-12000mAh-Power-Bank-Ports-Black-Silver-4-USB/dp/B008YRG5JQ

to power a Raspberry Pi and touchscreen. Is it going to be powerful enough
please and what should I plug the Pi into. I have 5v0.5a, 5v1.3a, 5v1.0a
and 5v2.1a.

Thanks for the help.

You could always do the sums and google.

https://projects.drogon.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/b+power-757x1024.jpg

is 3 Pi's being powered off a USB power charger thing which has a 2A port.

You are recommended to use a 2.5A PSU for the Pi v3 now, however (again, with a tiny bit of googling), you'll find that 1.2A is dedicated to the IO (combined USB and GPIO), so the Piv3 needs a max. of 1.3A.

Pi v2 needs much less the v1 much much less, but the v3 only really uses lots of amps when you actually use it. It runs cool unless thrashing the GPU and all ARM cores.

The Pi Foundation touchscreen easily fits into the 1.2A IO power budget.

So basically, plug it into the 2.1A port and be happy.

And you know that the devices maH rating bears no relation to the actual current needed - 'course you do. Just checking. Pulling 2.1A out of a 12000mAh unit will last for 5 hours. In practice you'll probably get more if things like the backlight is turned off, etc. I get about 36 hours on a Pi zero with my 15000mAh unit and about 23 on a Pi v2.

Gordon