Re: [LUG] Unity

On 17/05/16 22:05, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On May 2016 20:39, "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17/05/16 20:16, mr meowski wrote:
> > On 17/05/16 02:22, Richard Brown wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> During the Zeitgeist thread Mr Meoski said:
> >> especially if you're
> >> running with Unity for some inexplicable reason
> >>
> >> Why would running Unity be a problem please? And what would you do instead?
> > Hey, if it works for you then it's not a problem.
> >
> > Fairly or not, Unity has received a lot of stick since inception and is
> > not particularly well liked, despite being the default Ubuntu DM.
> >
> > Personally I'd prefer almost anything over Unity but each to their own.
> > Variety is interesting, I typically interact with Gnome-shell, Awesome,
> > CDE and IRIX Interactive Desktop on any given day, plus Windows and OSX.
> > But I still can't stand KDE for some reason...
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> Odd that you use CDE (I had limited interaction with Exceed on a Sun
> system years ago) but you don't get along with KDE. Although Plasma5
> brings a totally new desktop, I've quite liked plasma4 for the last few
> years - I'm sure the transition up (which I've yet to accomplish) will
> take a bit of getting used to.
>
> Have you tried out the Mate or Cinnamon desktops as made popular by Mint
> at all?! Just out of curiosity!
>
> MJE

The last KDE I actually liked using was the 3 series, but even back then I used Sawfish instead. I've never found a window manager or desktop environment that really fitted what I wanted, so usually swapped between several on a regular basis.

Grant

The only other one I spent a bit of time in is XFCE .. very nice and lightweight :)

MJE