Re: [LUG] New Laptop question

Hi

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/show-the-list-of-installed-packages-on-ubuntu-or-debian/

suggests using

dpkg --get-selections

to produce a list of installed packages,   you could pipe this to a file
then pipe that back in to apt to reinstall stuff

HOWEVER

I simply prefer to start fresh,  install base system and then add what
is needed,   over time I find myself installing more stuff,  that rarely
gets used if at all,  say to have a look at a specific program,   you
remove it but it may leave things behind.

I am not sure how --get-selections takes into account items installed
from PPA archives (used to grab later versions or specific software) it
could come up with an error when you try and install something
originally in a PPA or just install the wrong version you may find the
newer OS already includes the newer version in its repository and you
could again end up with issues.

Maybe take that list,  save as  a text file then go through it manually
to decide exactly what you want to be installed on your new system,  it
may take longer but may reduce issues longer term.

Hope this helps

Paul

--
http://www.zleap.net