Re: [LUG] VM's from disk image

On 25/04/16 10:28, Joseph Bennie wrote:

> yes - grab the vmware convertor to do a p2v migration:  boot once into win 7
> install the tool and export the image it creates to an external drive. You can
> then use other tools to convert the vmware image to other formats.
>
> Or swap in  clean hard drive and put the win 7 drive in a usb caddy for later and
> run it natively, if and when you need to.
>
>> On 25 Apr 2016, at 09:55, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I've just ordered a new laptop and the old one has a copy of w7 on it that came
>> installed and they refused to refund me. I don't ever use it but the other thread
>> on VM's reminded me I need to update some TomToms. I don't want to boot into w7
>> so is it possible to make a vm from the existing disk partition?
>> Tom te tom te tom but not satnav.

Probably worth pointing out here that this will almost definitely
trigger Win7 deactivating itself as from it's point of view,
considerably more than three separate bits of hardware have changed (the
entire system is 'new', so Win7 will presume it's been reinstalled).

Make sure you grab the full installation key beforehand - post P2V, you
will find yourself either calling Microsoft or running slui/slmgr.

Cheers