Re: [LUG] Moving NTFS partitions with Gparted

I've had this before

Just checking that I understand what you've done here...

Open a command prompt with administrative rights (i.e. go to Start-->All
Programs-->Accessories and __right-click__ "Command Prompt" and select "run as
administrator"

Then in that window type:

chkdsk <drive letter> /f /r

If it's your system partition (i.e. C:) then you'll need to reboot for it to do
anything anyway. Although I doubt /dev/sda5 would be C:\

Then - check the results of what it's saying... are there any bad sectors? (For a
chkdsk of C: during a reboot, this info is in the Windows Event Viewer)

If so, are they reducing in number after each run, or staying the same?

At this point, my first concern is: are you looking at a dying hard-drive? I'd run
some SMART tools to check the health of the drive... you may be looking at a problem
soon.

If that's all good, then moving on...

So, for Gparted... are you booting from a gparted live CD/USB? Or something else?
(i.e. dual-boot to an installed Linux?)

Personally, I'd use a boot disk of some kind so that no OS is running. I use parted
magic (which contains gparted), although it's now become a paid-for product, I still
find it useful enough for my day job (setting up Windows servers)

Whatever... the 'ntfsresize --bad-sectors' is referring to a Linux command, not a
Windows command.

This is part of the "ntfs-3g" package - I'm using arch, so I have it installed. I'm
99% sure it's on parted magic, it's probably on the gparted live if that's what
you're using.

If you're dual-booting to do all this, then just install that package... if you're
on Ubuntu / Mint, then a "sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g" should do the trick...then
"ntfsresize --help" lists the options to use.

Looks like doing "ntfsresize -c /dev/sda5" might be worth doing first (to "C"heck
the drive)

Then you can do the "ntfsresize --bad-sectors --size <size> --no-action /dev/sda5"
to check that that works... and then do it without the "--no-action" to actually do
the real resize.

This is just doing what gparted was going to do - resize your NTFS partition - just
that you can see what's happening.

Hope that gets you going

Cheers,

Steve