Re: [LUG] Server adventure

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016, mr meowski wrote:

On 14/01/16 11:40, Martin Gautier wrote:
Hi all

First the good news. My office LAMP/IMAP/SAMBA server died over-night.
Turns out it was the mobo. I took the drive out of the old machine,
plopped it into a donor machine (both 64 bit Intel), booted and up it
came - lovely. No LAN though. Turns out the NIC hardware was different
so I loaded the correct module, adjusted the /etc/network/interfaces
file to swap eth0 to eth1 (Linux thought I'd added a new NIC so assigned
it eth1), rebooted and voila, 100% running server - no probs. The donor
pc has a larger RAM capacity so after stuffing it to the gills, I'm
actually up on the deal.

The bad news is that both machines are mini-atx form factor. I can't
swap the cases (different PSU layouts) and the drive slot on the donor
is 2.5" whereas the server drive 3.5".

I do have a spare 2.5" 500Gb drive (the 3.5" is 320Gb).

Does anyone know the best way to do a straight data/partition transfer
from the old drive to the new one whilst allowing the full 500Gb
capacity to be available at the end?

With the new RAM (4Gb up from 1Gb), do I need to adjust the swap
partition whilst I'm at it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dd the disk contents over, use gparted (live bootable ISO freely
available and highly recommended) to finesse any partition weirdness
(boundaries don't match, etc) afterwards. Also convert the ext3
partitions to ext4 whilst you're at it.

Ignore the rsync advice - won't copy boot blocks or MBR stuff, otherwise
it would be perfect.

He said data partition.

Gordon