Re: [LUG] /etc/hosts reverted

Reinstalling.
Too much oddness.
Fully backed up, and a data drive physically separate from the system drive, which should make life easier.

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016, 16:47Âmr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/01/16 12:57, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 09:18:30AM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:
>> Found my hosts file no longer has lots of 127.0.0.n entries for advertisers.
>
> I wouldn't know what happened in this particular case, but it has
> happened to me quite a few times that a config file in /etc was reverted
> to the default version or a previous version, because of another
> program that used its own config file and used that to overwrite the
> actual config file.
>
> It's annoying, but I would assume that rather than malice.
>
> Martijn.

Yet another reason to use etckeeper to version /etc automatically unless
you're using a snapshotting filesystem or something similar.

/etc/hosts is provided by the debian-installer netcfg package and as
such *shouldn't* be touched by post-install packages so it's unlikely
you missed one of the messages that go like this:

==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
 ÂWhat would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
  Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
  N or O : keep your currently-installed version
   D  Â: show the differences between the versions
   Z  Â: start a shell to examine the situation
ÂThe default action is to keep your current version.

So you can grep for it but I doubt there will be an /etc/hosts.dpkg-old
as it won't be apt that's clobbered it.

Version or snapshot any mountpoint you care about I guess is the moral
of the story. At least it was only hosts eh, and not sshd_config...

Cheers