[LUG] [OT?] permissions control on android

Xmas greetings from Soviet UK, where phones watch you! Comrade Meowski
checking in :|

Marking as [OT], although I think I'm safe - Android is Linux right?

Fallen way behind on my phone sorcery, and suddenly find myself needing
to use - *shudder* - WhatsApp to contact a friendly agent deep behind
enemy lines (my friend lives in the middle of nowhere on Dartmoor and
wifi is ever so slightly less awful than 2/3/4G - thanks running
capitalist pig dogs of the BT).

Stupid app wants access to the DNA of my palaeolithic ancestors and the
blood of my first born before it installs and I'd prefer to keep it
entirely under my thumb - any recommendations for the latest and
greatest in Android permission controls please?

As I understand it the latest Lollipop release has App Ops included but
I'd prefer something less, well, provided by the hand that feeds me
(i.e., I don't trust it). Installing Cyanogenmod or other custom ROMs,
rooting the phone and/or mucking about with XDA forum stuff is all fully
acceptable, I'd just like any opinions on whatever is best for
controlling App permissions on Android these days.

Cheers!