Re: [LUG] Security Again

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015, Neil Winchurst wrote:

With all the talk about security etc after the Paris massacre I am just
wondering.

I have had several ISP's over the years, all of them in the UK. It did
not occur to me to do anything else. Is it possible to get your
broadband/fibre from abroad?

The simple answer is no.

However as this is a public list, indexed, filed, stamped and sealed by various TLA, ETLA, private and public agencies, what's now happened is that you're well and truly on their watch list. So its too late.

If you want a foreign ISP, then look for one with a UK presence owned by a foreign entity. Does O2 (telephonica) still do broadband? And so on. However, your data will still stay in the UK, go over the same copper/fibre network as it did before.

 Or would this involve using a VPN? Or some
other method?

If you want to use a VPN, then feel free. You'll need to pay for one abroad and that will of-course leave a paper trail at some point for the TLA, ETLA, etc. people to browse. Then you'll complain about the speed as all your data will be travelling overseas and back again just to visit a UK website.

Personally I think you're wasting too much of your own time on this and should just implement good basic principles to protect against viruses, etc. keep backups and archives, relax and be happy.

Gordon