Re: [LUG] website - content

On 05/11/15 12:22, Ben Whorwood wrote:
> I will pass on the correspondence from the list to Software
> Cornwall to get their thoughts on collaboration and cross
> promotion.

Sounds good I did get in touch about the software cornwall event as I
listed this on the tech jam site, in return they are happy to list the
Exeter Pi jam and tech jam on their site.  But have not mentioned the
lug in that correspondence.

> It would be interesting for a directory of sorts for organisations
> and individuals that promote and use free (libre) software. I
> myself have been an advocate of free software for many years since
> escaping the clutches of the corporate machine for the green
> pastures of *nix. It is always interesting connecting with others
> with a similar perspective who harness the power of open source
> (very happy to have found DC LUG for these reasons) as, certainly
> in the South West, we are are the definite minority. The tide does
> seem to be turning somewhat however, with government agencies (like
> India mentioned recently) moving to open software and file formats
> and Microsoft opening up (parts of the) .NET framework.

I am not sure if there are already directories out there perhaps

There is free software foundation,  free software foundation europe,
and quite a few others.  so should be easy to collate that between us.

I think it would be really good to get PI / Tech jams down in
Cornwall, maybe looking at the map as to where code clubs are that
could help suggest where there could be most interest,  people in
cornwall know the area better so could find potential venues in
between where they do code clubs,   software cornwall could perhaps
help sponsor / arrange these.

If code club tutors can make it, then these events are a good way to
meet up and chat with others.

> I've toyed with the idea of a "buddy programme" (for want of a
> better name) whereby one could pair up with someone new to the
> field to provide guidance and help through the transition. This
> could be useful on an individual as well as corporate level and
> help promote the spread of free software. Expectations would of
> course need to be discussed and limited - after all many (including
> myself) only had Google for answers but made the leap anyway and
> never looked back.

I know Phil Whiteside runs something similar to this
http://linuxpadawan.net/ so perhaps we can help expand this.  He is on
IRC as phillw  in #phillw and #linuxpadawan mainly

> In relation to the ongoing WordPress security discussion, could
> enforcing two factor authentication for all users combined with
> protecting the admin area using a shared (or multiple shared)
> usernames and passwords via HTTP basic authenication
> (http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress#Securing_wp-admin)
> be a possibility? Also a strict policy on the use of third party
> components might be an idea.

rnwall/

r/

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for this,  not sure if others agree but the lug site could
> host information on all these topic,   And cross collaboration /
> promotion does sound good,  if we can then be a portal to further
> information, it does raise our profile a little bit.
>
> At the same time the lug site can provide information on free and
> open source software from and links to the fsf and fsfe, and
> others,  links to examples (Tom posted a link to free software in
> India)  so the information is out there it is a case of putting
> everything together. Something this list is good at.
>
> The advantage for existing members is that if they provide
> business around setting up / maintaining solutions then there is a
> chance they could gain more contacts for work from,  that which is
> good for their business I guess.  Also keeps any work gained in the
> south west.
>
> A good argument for word press here as we could have a page for
> say where free software is being used and update this as we find
> articles that can be posted to the list,  these can be added to the
> page on the site at the top so it is kept fresh as articles on this
> do appear often enough.   Also if we are working on this as a lug,
> and others are helping it means our work can be checked and if
> there are spelling errors the can be corrected by others.
>
> I think all this would really raise the groups profile and
> hopefuly get more people thinking about free software.
>

> Paul

> -- http://www.zleap.net t: @zleap14  diaspora :
> zleap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Documentation lead @ ToriOS
> http://www.torios.org