Re: [LUG] website - content

Hi Guys

Just thought I would chuck in a very simple security process that helps to add a level of obscurity.

If you create a directory in root that is a fairly random name. Upload wp files to this directory and move your index.php file and .htaccess file into the root directory. Then open your index.php file and change this line
require('./wp-blog-header.php');
require('./random directory name/wp-blog-header.php');
You now need to log into http://mydomain/random directory name/wp-admin/. Once logged in go to Settings > General to check that the settings for your WordPress address (URL) points to http://mydomain.com/my random directory/ and Blog address (URL) points to http://mydomain.com/.

I know this was a passwords thing but it might just help a bit in terms of security.

And thanks to Ben for posting the Cornwall stuff. I'll be reading and trying to join in a bit.

On 4 November 2015 at 19:18, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 04/11/15 15:07, Ben Whorwood wrote:
> Little bit late but wanted to suggest a few people / organisations
> regarding potential content as there's been a fair bit happening
> down in Cornwall recently.
>
> For code clubs, Mike Trebilcock (@miketrebilcock /
> https://twitter.com/miketrebilcock) has done amazing work locally
> and continues to do so. He has been fundamental in setting up
> numerous code clubs across the county as well as helping others to
> do the same. I believe he now has a "template" in place allowing
> people to get new clubs up and running as simply as possible.
>
> A recent collaboration for Mission to Mars was very successful and
> very well received:
>
> http://www.softwarecornwall.org/mission-to-mars-success-at-software-co
rnwall/

> This nicely leads onto a new non-profit organisation, Software
> Cornwall (@SwCornwall / https://twitter.com/SwCornwall). They are
> working hard to try and promote Cornwall and the South West as an
> area of importance for technology:
>
> http://www.softwarecornwall.org/
>
> Software Cornwall together with Cornwall College are hosting a tech
> week in December for anyone that might be interested:
>
> http://www.softwarecornwall.org/cornwall-tech-week-7th-to-13th-decembe
r/

https://www.cornwalltechweek.org/

> Local tech news and support for code clubs could come from above as
> a starting point (and I'm sure much more). If you would like me to
> get in touch for potential collaboration with DC LUG (or just
> inclusion on the website and possibly vice-versa) I'd be more than
> happy to do so.
>
> Just a few thoughts.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for this, not sure if others agree but the lug site could host
information on all these topic, ÂAnd cross collaboration / promotion
does sound good, if we can then be a portal to further information,
it does raise our profile a little bit.

At the same time the lug site can provide information on free and open
source software from and links to the fsf and fsfe, and others, links
to examples (Tom posted a link to free software in India)Â so the
information is out there it is a case of putting everything together.
Something this list is good at.

The advantage for existing members is that if they provide business
around setting up / maintaining solutions then there is a chance they
could gain more contacts for work from, that which is good for their
business I guess. Also keeps any work gained in the south west.

A good argument for word press here as we could have a page for say
where free software is being used and update this as we find articles
that can be posted to the list, these can be added to the page on the
site at the top so it is kept fresh as articles on this do appear
often enough. ÂAlso if we are working on this as a lug, and others
are helping it means our work can be checked and if there are spelling
errors the can be corrected by others.

I think all this would really raise the groups profile and hopefuly
get more people thinking about free software.

Paul

> On 02/11/15 22:12, Paul Sutton wrote: Jay Bennie has kindly started
> to help sort out the lug website. ÂI decided to now ask how do we
> as the Devon and Cornwall Lug want to move on in to 2016.
>
> We currently have people spread out all over the region, which
> granted makes it harder to meet up, ÂHowever
>
> What sort of information should we have on the site
>
> Tutorials. (we have lots) articles
>
> Are there any local activities such as code club people know about
> ? There was some robotics thing at a school on the news a while
> back.
>
> What would be good is to perhaps if there is any local tech news
> we include that in the blog too.
>
> As the Tech jam in Paignton also doubles up as a lug meet I was
> thinking of a section that makes that clearer
>
> plus including more info on the North Devon Meet in Holsworthy
> (neil can we include your contact e-mail as part of that please)
> Do you also still want your login for the site ?
>
> There is information to explain free software etc,
>
> Anything else ?
>

> Paul ---
>

> -- http://www.zleap.net t: @zleap14Â diaspora :
> zleap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Documentation lead @ ToriOS