Re: [LUG] Snoopers' Charter

On 04/11/2015 12:36, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> There is much talk at the moment about the so called Snoopers' Charter.
> One thing the powers that be want is to force all ISP's etc to store
> all emails  for one year so that they can be read should the
> government think they have a need to. Grrr!! Also they want Firefox,
> Opera etc to store details of all the sites visited.
>
> I know that using the Tor browser, which I do have installed, should
> avoid all that nonsense about visited web sites.  But I am wondering
> what effect, if any, would result from using a PVN of some sort. Would
> that help in any way? and, apart from encryption, what can anyone do
> about keeping emails private?
>
> Neil

Use PGP encryption with all emails?
Only send attachments in encrypted form (headers only in plain text)
What do you want to keep private:
That you contact person X OR the subject of that message!

I used to be 'escorted' /'tailed' by agencies when working abroad, they
follow so they know who I visit.  This cannot be avoided.
Working on principle of human greed, I learned to ask them to 'share my
taxi' I then knew exactly who was primary tail, they got to get
'expenses' for journeys not paid for; a good perk in soviet days.
 My benefit in-car protection against local robbery or kidnap.
 They did not get to hear my conversations etc. albeit they knew contacts.

Decide what you want to keep to yourself.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald