Re: [LUG] Elastix FREE VOIP

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Matt Stevenson wrote:

Hello

Just sharing my recent experience of setting up VOIP with the Open source
http://www.elastix.com/

What a terrible website.

But you might mean http://www.elastix.org/

Its really lightweight and runs well on VBOX with only 512 mb ram,
essentially a version of Centos.
Configured some Mitel phones (the vital info is, do this through the
browser and phone IP address)
Iâm still figuring out the SIP trunk, Firewall and shared phone book.
For Free its pretty good.

Elastix is yet another incarnation of Asterisk. It also incorporates additional stuff - its actually FreePBX under the hood (so you might use that instead), it also has an SQL database - how quaint - having a real-time phone pbx relying on an SQL database. I never did get that.

If you're running Asterisk on a virtual server of any sort, then you must make sure that the virtual server has enough cycles to keep a call going. A few cycles of layency here & there on a virtual server won't affect a web server, but can introduce jitter and dalek-like speech in a PBX.

After 9 years, being in the process of closing my VoIP operation down I can only suggest this - if you're getting a little asterisk based PBX for home use then fine - it's your time & money. If its for an office then unless you have the time to configure it, maintain it, block sipvicious, etc. then forget it and get a man in.

One of these days I might open source my own asterisk based PBX thing, but then again I might just let it die the death it deserves...

Gordon