Re: [LUG] Battery power for Pi etc

Quite a lot of the circuits I've seen just use a predefined time limit when they switch to battery backup to shutdown safely before the power has completely run out, such as:

http://www.repairhub.co.uk/content/resources/raspberry-pi-battery-backup

Not ideal but a simple solution.

Some others attempt to implement detecting voltage drops below a predefined threshold to detect that a shutdown is required as battery power is running out (I believe this is what you are after):

http://raspi.tv/2013/controlled-shutdown-duration-test-of-pi-model-a-with-2-cell-lipo

You'll have to do some experimenting with the battery type you are looking to use but hopefully the link above should give you enough to get started.

Keep us posted with how you get on as I'm currently also looking into UPS and battery backups with the Raspberry Pi for some projects I'm working on.