Re: [LUG] Firefox v40 and Chrome

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 19:03:45 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Really the plugin shortage for Chromium/Chrome is ancient history.
>
> The only thing Firefox does better these days is certificate
> checking, and in practice the gain from that is miniscule security
> benefit and a fair performance hit when initiating new HTTPS
> connections.
>
> Better yet WebRTC will actually work in Chromium, unlike Firefox
> where you disable it because it ain't functional yet.

That is as may be, but I don't care how much Chromium may be
thought to be better than FF, I just don't like it. For me there is too
much their decision on what I should get and no facility to change it.

A simple example is the menu bar. In FF recently there is no menu when
first installed, but I can put one back if I want to. In chromium there
is no menu bar, full stop. As I have said already, in Linux the ability
to configure it how I like is one of its main advantages. If I like a
menu bar, and I do, then I should be able to get one.

On this same thread, where I had trouble with FF and my bank account,
I now use Opera when I want to log on to the bank. I have also
installed Opera on my wife's computer since she had the same problem.

Neil