Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: HP and Lenovo caught installing malware in the BIOS

On 21/08/15 09:12, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Received this from a friend.

You're all a bit late on this - it's been in the wild for months and in
the tech news for weeks. There's an incredibly vague news article today
noting that Lenovo are probably just about to get busted *again* for
some kind of unsavoury crapware shenanigans:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/08/22/0723225/yet-another-compromising-preinstalled-glitch-in-lenovo-laptops

Nothing to worry about for this crowd, 'cos you're all going to be
installing Linux over the pre-installed Windows on your Lenovo laptops
right? This is a windows-only thing: the UEFI can be set to
automatically trigger actions such as file upgrades/reinstalls but
relies on an actual windows install being in place to hand over it's
trigger commands to and actually carry out - it's not like the lifecycle
controller functionality you get on a modern Dell rack server for
example which can boot to UEFI and then use ftp to contact Dell
repositories and upgrade all of it's own firmware/BIOS/UEFI/etc components.

So feel free to keep your tin foil hats on but you don't need to throw
out your computers quite yet: this is just Lenovo being absolute morons.
You also only get this on bargain basement cheap-as-chips Windows Home
models - your nice expensive business orientated ThinkPad's will be free
of this financially motivated crapware.

I know there's a fair amount of FUD about UEFI around here, but this is
just a single stupid OEM inappropriately leveraging a legitimately
useful feature for their own gain: they've already been caught, making
it considerably less likely than any other manufacturers will try the
same trick. I for one don't miss the stupid brain-dead legacy BIOS one bit.

I guess what I'm saying is don't fear UEFI, don't buy Lenovo and keep
calm and carry on. Oh, and install Linux, obviously.

Cheers