Re: [LUG] File Ownership Problems

On 18/08/15 14:38, Richard Brown wrote:
> I have a backup from a Mac drive with files I need to move to a Linux
> distro. When I mount the drive it allows me to see the folders and files
> but if I try any changes or opening the folders I need to open it
> doesn't let me. It says you do not have the permissions necessary to
> view the contents of "Movies". The file is owned by user #502. I have
> tried using sudo chmod -R ugo+rw '/media/richard/Macintosh
> HD/Users/richardbrown/Movies' but it returns chmod: changing permissions
> of â/media/richard/Macintosh HD/Users/richardbrown/Movies/Horse.movâ:
> Read-only file system
>
> Any thoughts on where to go next please?

The important bit is 'backup from a Mac drive' - what filesystem do
these files reside on now? If it's still a Mac formatted drive (HFS+)
then Linux can't mount it r/w without breaking it. You can remove the
journal (you'll need a Mac to do that reliably) to make the drive plain
HFS which Linux can mount r/w, but probably still shouldn't.

If on the other hand the backup is now on a extX/NTFS/etc drive your
problem is elsewhere. What does 'mount' tell you?

Cheers