Re: [LUG] HPFS+ partition mounting read only

On 07/08/15 20:17, Björn Grohmann wrote:
> Hello all (20:17 7.8.2015) am looking for advice on how to mount an
> HPFS+ partition as rw read write in Linux please. To give a little
> background to my question...a MacBook user friend who shal remain
> nameless, deleted important files. Now the MacBook does not boot to its
> OS anymore. I can see the files (read only) in Trash. I want to restore
> them to their original folders, but cannot as the target drive mounts as
> ro read only. The target drive is connected externally to my Linux Mint
> system via a usb cable. As root I can issue the usual 'mount -o rw
> /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2' but get the following message
>
> mount: warning: /mnt/sdb2/ seems to be mounted read-only
>
> Have been reading Google & other search sites for some time with no joy.
> I hope that some brave soul on here has experienced something similar
> and emerged wiser than I have.
>
> Björn

Please trust me on this: I have been down this route a million times.
You can *not* use linux to fix this. You will need another fully
functional Mac. The filesystem is not only damaged but is also natively
HFS+, which linux can not reliably handle without removing the journal
(making it just HFS). If you mount that disk r/w under linux you're
going to make things so, so much worse.

Feel free to ask for more help, I don't mean to just piss on your
fireworks :/

Cheers

* many, many years supporting Apple $STUFF