Re: [LUG] Where to start looking? Segfaults

I did have new memory, larger but slower than the previous sticks, and have actually underclocked it because it was giving faults.Â

I might swap in and out sticks.

I don't think my repositories are weird, I have Iceweasel backport and Google for chrome. Perhaps they are.

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:12ÂSimon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14/07/15 12:48, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Iceweasel glitches intermittently, particularly on moving the edge of
> its window.
>
> Gimp and Bluefish occasionally also.
>
> Hardware? Software? Specific library, remedy or means of tracking it
> more closely?

The first two point at glibc - which is almost certainly a software
issue or mismatch. Have you added weird repositories to Debian?

The others look like virtual memory issues of some sort. I'd be tempted
to boot memtest as I'm assuming this is new box, or box you've been
sticking the new graphics cards in. See if there is a memory issue. It
may be a configurable thing from BIOS or hardware settings, not
necessarily a new hardware is required thing. I think 2 of the last 3 of
these I saw were "Bios/Firmware does weird stuff that can be switched
off", only one of the issues went away with swapping out a specific
memory stick.

The specific remedy for segfaults caused by software is using a debugger
(gdb), but it is a bit like an MRI scan, it'll show you precisely where
the problem is without giving you any hints on the best approach to
solving it.

Who said "sometimes bus error is caused by an error on the bus"? I think
it worth ruling out the hardware, especially if it has changed, but the
odds it is software are increasingly good with software complexity.