Re: [LUG] New computer time

On 12/07/15 23:13, Simon Waters wrote:
> Finally can't be put off....
>
> I need a new machine for home.
>
> Whilst at some distant point in the past I would have had a clue what is
> current, because I bought hardware, I've been deskilled by the cloud to
> the point where I have no idea what is out there beyond those shiny and
> expensive DELL laptops aimed at developers (I'm tempted but no....).

I've got one of those, and it's awesome - Dell M3800 Precision. It was a
fair bit over £2K but it's really, really nice and effortlessly
annihilates even most people's gaming or workstation boxes. The boss
paid for that though: I don't think I could face spending that much of
my own cash on one brand new. Like you, I'd ideally like to retire
sometime this side of 90...

> I need a box that will run a free software operating system.

You're in luck - that's all of them.

> It doesn't need to move (e.g. not a laptop).
>
> It needs to support several small virtual machines (think one to serve
> music/files to house running a fair bit, several for testing stuff).
> Unlikely to run more than 3 virtual machines are once.
>
> It needs to be quiet, and scale down power use effectively when not in
> use (e.g. power management wants to be decent), since it'll never be
> switched off, but it mustn't destroy the planet.

These are highly reasonable and extremely moderate needs - an older
Q6600 or similar from 5 or 6 Intel generations back and 8Gb of DDR2 RAM
would handle that without even breaking a sweat. You're going to need to
find the right balance of cost vs need here. It certainly doesn't sound
like you need a screaming i7/Xeon, £500 worth of ECC DDR4 RAM and a
bunch of NVME SSDs in RAID mode...

> I have previously backed up remote servers to this device, this should
> continue. Also runs Nagios and related types of test/monitoring.

Not going to tell you how to do your job, but haven't you got that the
wrong way around? I'm guessing that with the 24/7 requirement your new
workstation will kind of double as your centralized server as much as
your regular PC? So it will run the aforementioned monitoring and backup
jobs as well as being your daily driver. Makes sense.

> I use it as desktop, previously GNOME (but not fussed as long as it is
> reasonably sane).
>
> As I back-up to it, I will want disk mirroring, at least for any data
> (/home).

No here I do think you've got this the wrong way around. Surely your
/home - which I'd imagine will be based on a small, fast and expensive
SSD this time around - wants to be backed up routinely instead, to a
RAID mirror and then offline backup. Otherwise, yes, feel free to mirror
but then you'll have to buy two SSDs! If you're thinking about not
having your / on SSD this time around, I'd really, really, *REALLY* urge
you to reconsider. SSDs are the best thing to happen to computing for a
long time and you'd be seriously cheating yourself out of massive
performance benefits by sticking with spinning rust, or even a hybrid.

> I don't expect to use it for gaming, but basic 3D graphic support so
> that if I try a game, or other program that requires it, it will at
> least run without me aging too much.

You'd have to go way, way out of your way for that not to work. It would
be unforgivable for any half modern system to not support this out of
the box, even on Linux. Fortunately, much like your power-saving
requirements, if you just stick with Intel this stuff all Just Works
(TM) these days.

> The old monitor whilst working fine is 1024x768, so will be replaced by
> something with full HD, and big enough for my aging eyes.

Yikes. There are quite a lot of gotchas when it's come to higher end
stuff, but if you're literally happy with a random 24" 1920x1080p
monitor then good news - you can get them for a hundred quid these days.

> I'm in the lucky position where I can afford all sorts, but would prefer
> to spend the money on cars/kitchens or possibly even retiring before I
> die. Guessing with such modest requirements by today's standards this
> sort of box isn't going to be as much as I spent on the current machine.
>
> Is there a compelling OS, hardware, graphics card, monitor combination I
> should leap at?
>
> Is there any reason not to find a cheap tower-like box that supports
> 16GB of RAM and that will run Debian, and fill it with the hardware of
> my choice.

Yes, no problem - I build quite a lot of these for people who don't have
unlimited cash. The build often starts with a cheap, but solid, mid-size
case by Corsair or Antec (~£30). Basic commodity hardware, carefully
chosen, properly assembled and then maintained well will get you 90% of
the performance envelope you want for <50% of the price usually, and can
last just as long as the expensive gear - frequently longer.

Now personally, I have always and still do favour the industrial
strength gear: unusually perhaps for an IT person computing is still
really my main hobby as well as my job so I'm a little guilty of
fetishising hardware. I spend quite a lot of time poring over reviews of
enterprise level gear that to my missus' absolute horror I sometimes
actually buy.

> Oh and is there a good up to date tutorial on running server side
> filtering with Postfix, and Dovecot (ala Sieve), since the box is still
> doing client side email filtering for me and that sucks. Has to be
> filtering configurable by my relatives (as they are no doubt still
> cursing me for being "relaxed" about replacing the x509 certificate on
> the mail server).

Sorry, I'm a sendmail man myself (yeah, yeah, I know...)

Here's a list of suggestions - general principles rather than specific
parts (I could gin up a list though if you like). First, check out
arstechnica's informative periodic system builder guides: for someone
like yourself who's fallen a little out on the current field it should
be a great refresher.

Spend the most time and money on the central component, the motherboard.
Chosen wisely it could last for a decade as you piecemeal upgrade the
rest of your system around it. It will have more features, better
components and should last much longer than some budget crap. X99 boards
are the current "enthusiast" highend but you can buy for example an MSI
X99 SLI plus for ~£150, which gives you a *lot* of features: Socket
2011-3, Intel X99 Chipset, 4x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2x PCI-E x1, 10x SATA
6Gb/s, SATA Express, M.2 Slot, 12x USB 3.0, 6x USB 2.0, Intel Gb LAN,
7.1 HD Audio. It can take 128Gb of DDR4 RAM too, which should probably
give you enough upgradability along with the socket set supporting
Haswell-E and Xeon CPUs.

Initially populate the board with as little RAM and CPU grunt as you
want or can afford - 16Gb as mentioned will cost you another £120 or so
and choose the cheapest compatible Intel CPU you feel like springing
for. If you pay attention to the integrated Intel on-die GPUs you'll
note that the more powerful Iris series GPUs are usually on the cheaper
CPUs, which is convenient for you. The stronger Intel on-die GPUs are
more than up to providing the graphical firepower you need so you can
save cash on not getting a discrete GPU.

To be fair, I've suggested here Haswell-E series kit which doesn't
actually include integrated graphics - the cheapest compatible CPU is an
i7 5820K 6-core hyperthreaded £300 part, which may be a lot more than
you want to spend. I personally don't think that's a lot to spend on a
CPU. If you ignore the really high end and go with the cheaper but still
very fully featured Z79 motherboard instead, you get to spend a bit over
a hundred quid on a board with most of the X99 chipset (minus the best
stuff, like DDR4 support) but cheaper - you also aren't limited to
relatively expensive enthusiast CPUs and could plumb for a much cheaper
part, including one with integrated graphics.

These are candidates:

i5-5675C & i7-5775C

The i7 is still nearly £300, but the i5 is £200. Basically check out the
Broadwell Intel SKUs, they all have the latest generation Iris GPUs
baked in which should comfortably be enough for you. Buy yourself a
half-decent after-market cooler as well (for example, Artic Cooler: £20)
and throw the Intel stock one away immediately.

Let's not even talk about AMD as a CPU vendor here. Sad, but true.

Don't skimp on the PSU - reliable companies only, get at least a Bronze
rated one. I'd personally only buy a Gold rated unit with comfortably
enough power because of all the things in your PC you really, really
want to trust, it's this one. It's not worth skimping. Blow £100 on a
600W+ Gold rated fully modular PSU. Over 5-10 years of Gold rated
efficiency it will probably pay for itself anyway and the modular
cabling is essential to keep your case tidy, efficient and quiet.

That's pretty much it I guess, except try to choose a well thought out
case with a decent HDD cage, room for fans, etc. Cheap is fine for the
case, just choose carefully. Last of all is your new SSD storage (you
would honestly be mad to not go this route).

They are cheap enough now that getting a 512Gb model is the sweet spot -
you'll have enough room on your root disk for VMs, sprawling compilation
projects and all your other stuff without having to worry about
troubling your creaking spinning rust anymore. Don't cheap out and get a
smaller model than 512Gb: they have less controller lanes to the NAND
banks and don't perform as quickly. A standard Crucial MX500 SATA3 SSD
can be had for <£150 these days (I have several, highly recommended).
Investigate msata/M.2/PCIe-attached and even NVME SSDs for even higher
end, considerably faster storage options.

Don't forget to check backwards compatibility before ordering as well:
if you're planning on transferring for example an older Adaptec RAID
card make sure your new chipset has a spare PCI slot, as opposed to PCIe
- many don't anymore.

Wow, that email got quite long somehow. Hope any of that helps.

Cheers

PS: I'm also in the market for a new workstation but am perhaps not in
such a hurry. I'd advise if possible, hang on just a bit longer for
Intel Skylake, out later this year. Major new architectural "tick" release.