Re: [LUG] New computer time

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015, Simon Waters wrote:

Finally can't be put off....

I need a new machine for home.

... etc.

I build my own. I don't chase the latest and greatest, but I do try to think I have a nice balance between usability, reliability and price.

My current workstation is a few years old now and I don't anticipate replacing it for another 2-3 years unless something goes pop.... Asus motherboard (H61M-A), Intel i3 processor (Core 2 Duo, supports all the low-power stuff). SSD main drive and a pair of low power drives in a software mirror (Linux RAID1) for bulk data and some backups (I have separate servers for other backups). 4GB RAM, running a 32-bit OS (Debian Wheezy) and using the on-board intel graphics.

The only "game" I run on it from time to time is Minecraft though - I've no idea how it would cope with anything else.

Monitor is a 24" full HD. BenQ model from Aria.

Gordon