Re: [LUG] how to fix read only USB key?

On 04/06/2015 06:37, Simon Robert wrote:
> On 4.06.2015 00:56, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>> Dear folk, stupidly I cancelled a half written linux with uNetbootin to
>> a USB key. I find it mounts 'read-only' and GParted  will not reformat.
>> Is there a way to recover a usable USB Key from 'read-only' status to
>> read-write status?
>> Any help appreciated.
> I have found that sticking it into a windows box and following the
> prompts for reformatting does the trick, afterwards you can reformat
> with linux to whatever you like.

Thanks for this, however
a) Tried this in Windows, but USB shows as 'read only' format option
greyed out
b) Tried similar with Ubuntu create disk using 'erase' option, again
error (lots of detail ) says 'locked read only'
c) GParted gives similar error
d) Tried sudo pharm -r0 /dev/sdb,    no fix obtained. shows "0" as result.
It think that it is set to be rad only and appear as a CD with no write
 capability.
Any other hints form any one?
If no fix then trashed USB key  = learning at a cost.
Thanks Simon for your response.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald