Re: [LUG] OT: PC Liquid Coolers

On 29/05/15 17:45, Simon Avery wrote:
>     I am currently looking at buying a closed loop liquid cooler for my
>     CPU, considering I have been running on the stock cooler since I
>     built the PC which was late 2012 time, my PC is used for a variety
>     of things including the basic web browsing, emails etc, however it
>     does also run games through the use of eyefinity (being able to
>     combine dual screen setups into one), alongside small amounts of
>     photo and video editing.
>

> Well, you know my experience about water cooling already...  (For
> others, http://digdilem.org/cooling )
>
> But you probably don't want something like that. It has some drawbacks,
> portability being one.
>
> Closed-loops: I don't understand the benefits over a good quality air
> cooler with a quiet fan. The closed loops take the one good thing about
> water cooling (ability to passive cool) and throw it away by merely
> repositioning to heat source and then blasting with a fan anyway.
>
> I also don't think they will give you the benefit you expect - allowing
> you to overclock a huge amount. Whilst that is possible - it's also
> possible with air cooling, which is more reliable, cheaper and no less
> noisy (ime).
>
> Sorry to be negative, but this is the PC equivalent of fitting neon
> underlights and a cherrybomb exhaust to a 1.3 Vauxhall Corsa.

Seems like you already made your (correct) decision, and just went with
a proper air cooler.

Simon has here perfectly summarised all you need to know about liquid
cooling - it's good advice. Don't do it.

I've built a *lot* of top-end PCs for customers, both workstation and
home PC gamer machines. I've installed and looked after a lot of water
cooled machines - the emphasis here is on "maintenance", because they
will require it. If they don't just leak/stop/malfunction or otherwise
ruin the computer in question.

Real friends don't let their friends use Windows. Or water cool. Seriously.

Cheers

PS> When I can be bothered, my ancient i5 2500k will happily overclock
to 4.8GHz stable, and that's on a boring but efficient £25 Arctic Cooler
unit. Big heatsink, massive fan, no water, no fuss. Highly recommended.