Re: [LUG] Nginx vs. Apache

I'm skeptical of load balancing for databases.

It makes sense if the goal is robustness, although some big services use other means, like a master/slave model, or just use highly available hardware configurations, with a single simple MySQL instance.

But the gain from multiple servers is low. With master/master all the transactions may be effectively being applied to both servers anyway, so the performance can go down.

In contrast even modest database optimisations can reduce effort by orders of magnitude. Not done this sort of stuff so much with MySQL, but I imagine the principles are similar to other relational databases.

Modern servers can handle thousands or tens of thousands transactions per second.

What sort of stats do you have for the database. Table sizes, index sizes, transaction mix, cache hit rates etc. if you haven't looked at this you probably need a DBA not hardware.

Sent from myMail for iOS