Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi Portable Power

Hi Dan,

It probably boils down to how long you want it to run for.

I use the Maplin 2200MAh battery backup item. Its a black cylinder, you probably know the sort of thing. I sent one out to a school in Ghana powering a Pi B+ running as a wireless access point and webserver to allow it to run when the mains drops (which is very common). In that application it is just wired into the circuit like a proto-UPS. I've got a second identical one at home which I use, but generally just for a Pi B+ and a wireless device and normally just for a few minutes. I've not actaully tested to see how long it lasts from a full charge to shutdown.

The A+ uses less power than the B+, but it sounds like you want extra bits and bobs on.

The technology in the battery rechargers has moved on and prices have come down so the Maplin device is now has 3 times the capacity. To my mind it just depends how long you want it to last.

Trevor