Re: [LUG] OT: Best place and any other advice re: the registration of new(er) top level domains

TLDR: 1&1 for stuff that only impacts on me, Hover for domains for which I am held accountable by others.

I like Hover.com. They're a bit more expensive but reliable and provide decent support. They also support a greater variety of records than many mainstream providers. WHOIS privacy is free and is lists their proxy organisation.

My experience suggests avoiding GoDaddy at all costs. 1&1 are cheap but are appalling for support. 123-reg were quite confusing back in 2010 and that's my most recent experience of them.

I do use 1&1 but immediately point the domains to Rackspace and set all records through their free CloudDNS offering. That means I only need to deal with 1&1 for billing. It's a challenge at times but is tolerable.

Dreamhost host DNS (I have a shared web hosting plan with them which permits access to the DNS hosting), support a surprising variety of records including NS records for delegation, and has relatively good customer support. I've not used them as a registrar, only as a DNS host.

Dreamhost, Hover and Rackspace all propagate new records typically within 5-15 minutes. 1&1 usually takes a couple of hours at least.