Re: [LUG] Which FreeNas ?

Good evening Matt,

For Rackmount chassis I know SuperMicro have been a popular brand amongst a few people I follow on Twitter etc, however I have never actually seen the equipment in action myself, so hard to tell.
http://www.supermicro.co.uk/index_home.cfm

For disks you maybe better off by using WD Reds as they are dedicated NAS drives, however I use Greens in my home server and have had no issues with them so far but they are not even a year old so only time will tell.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/ - This was posted on the list a while back and it is quite interesting to see what hard disks work best.

As for OS I use Debian with SAMBA, I have never touched FreeNAS so can't answer there.

Take this response with a pinch of salt as this is my past experiences but also things I have read and had a brief look into, do correct me if I am wrong however.

Regards

DanS