[LUG] Tagging photographs by areas of colour eg shirts

Desired outcome: automagically take a set of photographs (JPEG) and emit for each image a set of tags consisting of the colours of the shirts in them.

In order to find photographs of particular runners being able to search on the colour of their shirt (or other clothes) should be helpful. It doesn't need to specify that a shirt is half cerulean and half orange (if such a thing exists) {blue, orange} will do. However if the background is sky, then tagging every photo with blue is not going to greatly help - even if it only occurs occasionally in England - white wouldn't be that much help there either.

False positives are a smaller problem than false negatives, and false negatives could be tolerated to a considerable extent.

I've had a look at bits of ImageMagick which seem to have some facilities in the direction I want but I haven't seen a solution.

THoughts?