Re: [LUG] Raid and Linux and backups and vhd

On Sat, 2015-02-14 at 21:34 +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
> On 14 February 2015 at 14:42, Kevin Lucas
> <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> <snip>
>

> A frustrating tale of woe many of us will sympathise with from having
> been in similar situations. Hopefully you didn't have the added
> complication of various people peering over your shoulder while you
> were trying to do this asking "how much longer?"
>

> Several lessons to be learned from that, obviously, and a duff raid
> card is one that is often overlooked (and compatibility with the
> arrays it shepherds). But the big one is on-machine backups. Not just
> for corruption, but theft and fire too of course.Let's hope the
> lessons you gave stick into the future and don't get bypassed. :)
I have frustrations with Backups which can only be recovered by the
System creating it, ie using a VHD with backup operator permissions, as
in the real world it's only when the system fails that you need to
reinvent the backup system. There wasn't a Client machine in the place
which could access the backups with out real modification.
 I have put Security ie Theft, at the bottom of the list for this system
now running on a SMB Nas box with user backups weekly and data daily.
The nas being small can be locked in a Cupboard!
<OFF LIST>
Anyone interested in a Dell Power Edge  T110 ii   8 gig ram Quad core
with a (Quirky Raid card) and 3 500 gig Sata disks. OS Install disk
included. I have fired up Mint on it and it runs everything but the Raid
card, but I imagine a Linux raid card is possible although it has 6 Sata
ports on the MB so LVM is possible.
offers around Â120 could deliver!<OFF LIST>
Thanks for the Thought.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)