Re: [LUG] Software RAIDs

On 12/02/15 22:08, Dan Smith wrote:
> Good evening folks,
>
> I am looking at the possibility of getting a 4TB hard drive to go into
> my HP MicroServer N54L and am thinking of partitioning it in half so I
> can use it to mirror 2 x 2TB drives currently in there.
>
> I am wondering if there is anyway this can be done via software such as
> mdadm without reinstalling the whole OS which is on a 64GB SSD.

You won't need to reinstall the OS if the OS is not on the drive being
moved to RAID.

However, you can't just mirror an existing disk. Both drives in the RAID
will need to be set up for it. So, create the partitions on the new
drive. Set them each up as part of a RAID set with two drives, one
missing. Format the RAID drives, and copy the existing 2TB disks onto
the RAID drives. Then set up the old 2TB drives for RAID, and add them
to the sets and let the RAID software repair the RAID.

This will take a LONG time if your 2TB drives have any significant
quantity of data on them, as you've got to copy the whole lot twice.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++11 thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk