[LUG] Raspberry Pi Controllers/Android Multitouch

I've been playing with synths and computer music for a while and one thing that is missing is easy physical control of (say) 8 'volume'control nobs/sliders and pushbuttons etc for controlling and patching synthesisers etc together.
I was wondering if there was anything like that in the Pi world?
Also I've seen a multitouch controller App (now defunct but open source) for Ardour and was wondering if anyone knew of other similar projects?
If so I've found a non-gaming use for my graphics card at last!
Tom te tom te tom