Re: [LUG] android warning

On 11/10/14 10:47, Tom wrote:
deleted chrome and googlesearch of my phone last night and it no longer works!
Weird!
Tom te tom tom

Isn't Android frustrating? After years of knowing what I'm doing (sort of) on Linux desktop I'm struggling with Android. The information available for it is patchy and poor. Instructions are mostly, do this, this and this but without saying what you're actually doing. Very frustrating. There isn't a lot of information about how closely the google apps are tied in. Instructions to stop an app working in settings and see if it makes a lot of difference to the operation of your phone before uninstalling isn't very helpful.

I have a cheap china phone which is OK and I've managed to root that without screwing it and have stopped there. I also have a cheap china tablet which after working fine on 4.1.1 has suddenly gone feral. If I try to manage an app (shift parts from RAM to sd card say) or install a new one, then all hell breaks loose with pop ups saying that this that and the other has closed down, stuff that I didn't even know was running. Because there doesn't seem to be a way to see what is running, which is probably why we need root access. And on my tablet I can't as yet, get root access although I've tried.

A lot of instructions are of the type, 'download such and such app to your windows box and connect your phone.' Back to the dark ages.

So many versions customised for so many phones/tablets and , I suspect, for each different processor. As far as I can see the only way out for a poor old tinkerer like me is to install Cyanogen Mod or it's ilk to get something manageable.

Not very helpful, but you are not alone.

George