Re: [LUG] Printer driver for old printer

On 01/10/14 10:09, Jay Bennie wrote:
On 1 Oct 2014, at 09:17, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've got a samsung ml1610 with some powder left!
Recent upgrades have stopped it working  I cant find a driver for it anywhere!
Any suggestions
Samsung printers have a common driver   I think its called SPL (Samsung Printer
Language) that plugs into CUPS.

In the past I've got my info from here.

http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/alternatives.html

and

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/driverpackages

Mostly though the ML's are plug and play , its just a game of Russian roulette with
the stock drivers.

I think in the end i used this

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

// I have an ML1660 and ML 1860
both seam to jam after a few prints using the linux driver - I think there is a
problem with thermal protection settings.
but they also get muddled when they have to adjust for margins wider than the page.

both gotchas stalled my testing - I just restarted the printer to clear the
problem.... and once i was up and running it only happened occasionally.

Tom te tom te tom

Cheers - I've tried several drivers from there and gutenburg but none seem to run it... Its lasted 4 years since I got it on free-cycle so perhaps its time to upgrade...seems a waste but the daughters school are demanding colour prints for some things (even though everyone has ipads!!!)
Tom te tom te tom