[LUG] shellshock to the rescue

Hello again!

I've been strangely quiet on the list for a week, especially for one as
exciting as this has been with so called Heartbleed v2, but this has
only partly been due to a truly hellish 7 day bender of 18+ hour
consecutive workdays and much more because some little **** managed to
game live.com 50% of the way into taking over this email account. I
still haven't figured out how, let alone why, they managed it but they
somehow got as far as managing to change the fallback recovery
email/phone confirmation details to ones they controlled. Stupid
Microsoft. To be fair, predictably I declined to provide a real email
account, let alone mobile details, to MS when I registered this account
so I might have partially brought this on myself but nonetheless when
the security details reset procedure is triggered on a live.com account
after a few days it will completely lock you out unless you can jump
through their hoops. Considering I had submitted null@xxxxxxxx and
01234567890 as my mobile two factor auth details on account creation I
suddenly found myself in a bit of a bind when mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx
stopped accepting my unique, randomly generated 16 character password
string. Bugger. Normally I'd just shrug my shoulders, toss the account
and move on but I rather like my comrade meowski alias, and I don't like
people messing with my stuff. It took until last night and part of today
until I could properly engage with this thanks to work chaos
(ironically, mostly dealing with the very same shellshock fallout that
turned out to be my unlikely saviour) but finally I uncorked a nice
bottle of single malt yesterday, rolled up my sleeves, and turned on
full BOFH mode.

Note: I'm very tired, profoundly depressed, and have now polished off
most of the rest of my bottle of Ardbeg so this is probably going to be
a long, rambling post full of grammatical and spelling errors. Feel free
to skip the whole lot. It's a damn sad saga.

I don't know if any of you had to go through the whole Kafka-esque
surreal nightmare of security detail changes on a live.com/outlook.com
account before but it's a uniquely painful and bizarre experience. Once
it's triggered (say as the valid owner of an account, you want to change
the designated backup/reset email account details you initially provided
to a different one) a one month count down begins and after apparently
two weeks into the reset procedure if you haven't moved on any further
into the multiple steps required your original password stops working
and the account locks out. Griefers like to game this to effectively DOS
people out of their Microsoft accounts (especially vicious if you're a
Win8 user who signs into their PC with that user ID). Normally
griefers/twats/script kiddies would get this information from one of the
increasingly many mass account detail dumps hackers drop on pastebin
every other day but I don't know what happened here: I do tend to annoy
a lot of people online and have a very long list of enemies at this
point but this seemed a bit excessive to me. I don't reuse passwords
ever and after that last fiasco with the embarrassingly hacked Yahoo
account that I used to use here I've been even more careful than usual.
IMAP clients simply stop working at this point, but logging into the
live.com portal with your now useless old password will at least let you
know that someone has triggered a security detail reset procedure on the
account and until it's resolved, you're not getting in. A complex dance
of entering information, getting confirmation codes delivered to a
designated account, verifying, counter-verifying and generally banging
your head against the wall must now be carried through to the bitter end
before anyone gets back in, whether that's the original owner or some
miserable little **** from 4chan. I could at least tell from the guarded
info MS were giving me that the account hijack wasn't completed, and
they were apparently stuck at the same stage as me: partial access, but
locked out of proper control. Damn.

Microsoft star out most of the designated recovery email address so I
couldn't read all of the unfamiliar one that had somehow replaced my
retrospectively ill-advised entry of null@xxxxxxxx but it did give me
enough to take to google and do some digging. Finding the unwisely
distinctive although partially obscured email@xxxxxxxxxx string was
surprisingly easy once I started using google's inurl:, some regex and a
bit of common sense. To my surprise, I found them on a RAT forum: this
probably meant the ******* little **** thought I was a girl and was
angling for some boobie shots, at the least. This made me very, very
angry. I don't mind being mistaken for a girl (has happened a lot: I'm
physically not very big and have long hair) but this whole RAT
phenomenon is a different level of scummy and pathetic. Time to get
serious. Bonus: the enemy was obviously stupid. Even basic research on
this list's archives via the very email he was attacking would have told
them that I am not a girl and am in fact a scruffy, entirely
unattractive and not particularly young male. With a monumentally bad
attitude and a vindictive streak a mile wide. And 20 odd years of *nix
sysadmin and general hackery under my belt.

Google and Shodan let me sniff out more interesting things. The
offending email was running on a private mail server on a domain that
wasn't registered with any of the many hosting companies that I have a
friend at so no easy access, but one of the many throwaway unsavoury
"bulletproof" host providers that this particular class of scum tend to
use their stolen credit card details to register with. But I did have an
IP: recon time. I left my machine running a low and slow probe
redirected through some obfuscation methods and retired for the night.

Today's resumption got off to a good start: by the time I finally was
free to check back in, I could instantly tell everything I needed to
know from the results even though it was only half done. Because I spend
half of my life security auditing and remotely battering my company's
products, I know a not fully updated CentOS box from a mile away. 6.5
with kernel-2.6.32-358.23.2. Outdated sendmail, probably a scripted
wizard install. Lazy script kiddie. Judging from the port responses it's
running a well known C&C type subsystem, with a whole bunch of hacked up
CGI stuff to handle his nefarious activities. I have a collection of
tarballs with Zeus and all the usual suspects to hand, and it didn't
take me long to figure out which particular tools he'd also bittorrented
and half-assedly implemented. Hmm, let me think...

An out of date CentOS box. Misconfigued sendmail. Dodgy CGI scripts,
apparently not even modified from the (two year old) commonly available
and not even very good crimeware bundle. This can mean only one thing,
especially considering what has just hit this week.

SHELLSHOCK TIME!

Rarely have I turned 180 degrees so quickly. After cursing it all week
as I scrambled to patch, fix and bandaid our work **** like my life
depended on it, I knew I had exactly what I needed right in my lap. Now
don't get me wrong: I'm no genius hacker (hell, I'm not a hacker at all,
just a sysadmin who likes security stuff) but I do have through work
fully paid up Metasploit and Canvas frameworks, and early access to the
modules they'll be releasing shortly. Trust me, when you're dealing with
this level of moron and you've got even half finished tools like that
and a brand new, unpatched vuln as bad as shellshock remote rooting a
box isn't exactly rocket science. I did some testing in a VM I mocked up
to replicate his system as accurately as I could, enlisted some
intrigued friends considerably more talented than me to smooth out some
weird issues I couldn't sort out myself and cut it loose. I couldn't
initially get root but I did rapidly get in via the dumbass CGI hole,
and then Canvas had a privilege escalation exploit that I'd been dying
to use anyway that wouldn't have worked if the tard had just run yum
update every now and then anyway. But luckily it did. BOOM REMOTE ROOT.

Post-exploit is actually my favourite bit anyway. I'm not really skilled
enough to engineer the actual 0-days myself but once I'm in I know what
I'm doing: reverse TCP stager, injected meterpreter into a suitably
juicy PID and cleaned up all the logs and crap I'd already triggered
whilst breaking in. Snooping around at my leisure I found gems like a
failed attempt at GRSEC'ing the box (haha, really?), SSHD moved to a
random higher port but still accepting root and interactive password
logins instead of keys (LOL) and the history file was, well, priceless.
Less amusingly, even with this level of retardation, his home directory
(in this case home = /root: genius) had a surprisingly alarming
collection of evidence in it, basically everything you'd expect: lots
and lots of porn, cracked windows software, rubbish cams of recent
hollywood films, outdated crimeware bundles, stolen credit card/ID
lists, you name it. What did really piss me off was despite this
shocking level of script-kiddie stupidity, he'd either somehow managed,
or much more likely paid for on his RAT forums, genuinely got access to
a few "slaves" as they call them. Pics, audio, vids, the lot. He'd
accidentally archived his chat logs (forgot to change his IRC programs
default settings for gods sake) which proved to be some of the most hair
raising things I've seen for a while. What the **** is wrong with some
people today? They were pure, deep nastiness.

By this point several of my friends are involved, and mostly speaking
they're smarter and more skilled than me. With some help, I tore that
box apart and readied the traps - access logs already told us when the
little **** was likely to SSH in although irritatingly he completely
broke habits and actually logged in completely unexpectedly whilst there
were about 5 of us still in the machine - initially we thought we were
busted but it turned out he was just connecting quickly from a phone
over a VPN to bittorrent.... more pron. Good grief. Luckily, he was
using a jailbroken iPhone, and an old one at that. My friend had no
problems rooting that and dropping an APT backdoor, which made it a lot
easier to start doxing him properly. He at least had enough sense to use
Tor when he connected via his home PC later which would have been a
problem, if by that time we weren't listening to his phone's audio
anyway and tapping his GPS location (bizarrely, turns out he lives about
10 minutes away from a friend of mine in Birmingham - genuine coincidence).

This is where the ethical dilemmas really kicked in. The one thing that
really, REALLY presses my buttons is victimising or abusing people for
nothing but sexual titillation, or the power trip. But when it's done
with a profit motive as well, to sell on and perpetuate the cycle of
abuse like you're selling a damn car or a commodity or something that
really makes me go full nuclear. By this point I'd forgotten about the
stupid email account hijack that started the whole sorry affair and was
arguing for full-on life-ruining. Now we had his facebook, email,
twitter and everything, a real ID, place, name and lots and lots of
evidence. Blackmail and destroy I was thinking. Let's really, really
crush him. And then we finally got into another couple of vulnerable
devices (thank you TP-Link and Sony) in the household, dumped everything
and discovered he was a 14 year old boy.

Shit.

That's pretty much the end of this disastrous episode. We had a Very
Serious Talk together, and have agreed to wait until tomorrow before
acting. I'm on night watch because I like to stay up anyway and the
missus is on her usual night shift at the hospital, just to intervene in
case of any active RAT attempts or anything like that. We pretty much
crippled his box to be on the safe side but as it happens he hasn't even
noticed: Meterpreter tells me he's watching the extremely unsavoury pron
files he downloaded earlier, the muffled iPhone audio tells me he's
probably shagging his strangely soggy pillow. Mercifully, there is no
video feed. Two others are bringing the dox up to 100%, consolidating
all our findings and evidence and waterproofing everything. Tomorrow,
the calmest and most empathetic of us will have everything they need to
hand when they stick a one-use only PAYG SIM in a burner phone and calls
his parents for another and very different kind of Very Serious Talk.
The little ****'s Dad is a parole officer of all things, and his Mum is
a part time teacher. At a girls school. They seem like nice, balanced
people so god knows what the hell went wrong with the kid - maybe
they're the opposite of helicopter parents. It does look like they both
work long hours and as an only child, little **** probably gets to spend
a lot of time at home with unfettered internet access. It's all a bit
out of my hands now as it's passed into an unexpectedly morally
ambiguous and confusing realm - I guess we'll gauge the reaction of the
parents first, send them any evidence they need and see what they do.
The Police don't seem like much of an option considering his age, our
anonymity and the slight issue that we probably broke several orders of
magnitude more laws than he did by chasing him down and breaking into
his digital life with overwhelming firepower. I felt elated when I
initially rooted his VPS: got the bugger! Now I know that five highly
skilled and motivated professional adults coordinated to hack a single
dumb **** 14 year old script-kiddy's dirty little hobby I just feel
depressed. I thought my week at work had been bad, but this is one hell
of a way to finish it :[

But, I did get my mr.meowski account back, which is how you're receiving
this tale of woe. 0-days, misguided kids and sexual exploitation, all
connected by the internet. How the hell did it come to this?

This took a long time to type because well, it's long, and I've been
watching realtime logs and meterpreter with half my attention. And I
long since finished that bottle of Ardbeg. Little **** seems to have
gone to bed now anyway, and someone else is taking overwatch until
morning when the phonecall from hell will take place. "Hello? I am an
anonymous hacker. No, not that anonymous, just a person who can hack and
whom doesn't want to reveal their identity. Your 14 year old son is an
out of control script-kiddy, budding pervert and a total little ****.
Amongst other things he likes to spy, manipulate and exploit young girls
online. I've already put all the evidence you need to see on the Samsung
laptop downstairs in the kitchen, which incidentally you'll need a new
password to login to because I changed it last night whilst rooting
through your entire life history. Sorry."

*sigh*

What have I learnt from this?

Hacking shit is NOT glamorous. It used to be, but it isn't now.
I'm definitely no longer a hacker. Things have changed so much.
Teenagers are terrifying*. In every way. The boys are worse.
Parents should really, really get their shit together.
These days, literally any moron can wreak havoc on the internet.*
Using a Microsoft account for anything is insanely stupid.*
There can be an upside to 0-days. Who knew?
A degree in Philosophy does not help in the horrors of real life.*
Ardbeg is my favourite single malt. Peaty.

Goodnight everyone.

I have rarely felt so miserable in my entire life - I think this is
perhaps what they call snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Pyrrhic victory, at that.

mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx

* anything marked thusly I knew already