Re: [LUG] best distro for a small business laptop

On 11/09/2014 10:07, Joseph Bennie wrote:
I had a relatives Dell Inspiron 1300 in for "cleaning" few days ago and it reminded
me that there are users out there with adequate hard ware - that just need

a understandable desktop -  without 3D fanfare and indexed searching widgets (i.e. no
resources sucking frills that would tax an aged/slow 2.5" 5000rpm hard drive / bog
standard hardware)
core business apps i.e. LibreOffice 4.3.x
a fully functioning version of firefox with flash and java compatibility
a PDF reader
a good media player.
a solid imap mail client
a usable ical compat calendar

also its not really enterprise class (more good enough), it doesn’t need to be
updated every 4 hrs and its available in 32bit version on an easy to install CD rom.
Most importantly Its aimed at an average skilled person i.e. a skilled plumber,
rather than a science graduate.

after 10 years - has anyone settled on a distro(s) / distro version that tick this
box/ out of the box?

Peppermint, LXLE, Lubuntu, Bodhi....or just plain ol' Debian with a lightweight desktop - xfce, LXDE or Mate

Dave