Re: [LUG] Looking for help testing software

Hi Paul,

  This email is about ToriOS - which I understand as an Ubuntu-derived distro.

  It's intended to run on low-powered devices, which we can then presume would mean that it should FLY on newer hardware.

So...

  I would've thought that the website should start out with something as clear and brief as that. :)

  If you want a huge icon / logo, cool... make it as big as you want, but don't distract - after all, I could be reading this site using Lynx on my low-powered device... :o)

  OK, so from a technical point of view, if you’re creating a distro which has " very very low system requirements ", why are you starting with Ubuntu, rather than a lower base level?

I.e. perhaps start with one of these: http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Old+Computers
Or these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution
Or these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions_that_run_from_RAM
Or…

Well… I think you see my point.

Whatever that reason is - then that should be shouted on the website's front page.... otherwise... I move on to another distro ;o)

Cool - ok - so there's obviously a reason the team are fully committed to creating a fully public distro, so, I'll install it then…

Moving on to the distro itself:
On VirtualBox:

  Using the text based installer I managed to screw up the tarball selection - not sure why there's two. (ball and obi-patch-for-torios)

  I'm purposely being a non-documentation reading end-user (or perhaps I can't read?). Surely OBI (one button installer) should use one menu item - install - and I shouldn't have the ability to choose anything further (because that was an earlier choice)

Had a few weird items during installation:
./var/lib/sudo/torios/tty1: implausibly old time stamp 1970-01-01 00:00:00
./var/lib/sudo/torios: implausibly old time stamp 1970-01-01 00:00:00
./var/lib/sudo: implausibly old time stamp 1970-01-01 00:00:00

Several of these:
sudo: unable to resolve host torios

  And then rebooting the VM caused a VirtualBox Guru Meditation...

  OK - that might be an issue at my end :)

  Trying in VMWare Workstation, and using the GUI to do the install got me a running VM

  Midori seems to be a "low resource" choice on a few distros - (i.e. Bodhi) - but I couldn't get enter a URL…, ok, I'll install Lynx ;)

  I noticed the OBI welcome said it would "auto login"… but that didn't appear to work for me… and neither did the user credentials which were in the instructions… (root / 123456)

   So, I couldn't actually try it out…

  So, in short, my initial comments are - what makes this distro standout from the crowd of others? That should be the ultimate focus.

  And the rest should fall in to place from that.

  I honestly hope it goes well - you just need to be screaming out to everyone where it fits in the crowd…

Cheers,

Steve