Re: [LUG] Low diskspace on /

On 14/08/14 23:53, bad apple wrote:
On 14/08/14 23:10, Simon Waters wrote:

<stuff>

All good advice here.

<snipped excellent advice from Simon and bad apple>

I found this webpage:

http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/10/remove-old-kernels-in-ubuntu-with-one-command/

There's a great breakdown of the process he follows and eventually comes up with this single line:

dpkg -l linux-* | awk '/^ii/{ print $2}' | grep -v -e `uname -r | cut -f1,2 -d"-"` | grep -e [0-9] | grep -E "(image|headers)" | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge

I did the test line he suggested which looked OK and didn't include my current kernel, so I ran the live one above. Obviously I didn't kill anything as I am typing this email :) and I seem to have shed over 3Gb as / is now 6.4 Gb not the 9.8Gb it reported previously. I think that's problem solved.

BTW the reason I keep /home on a separate partition is that I want to keep all my customisations and user files (e.g. mail) if I have to reinstall for any reason. Reinstalling and simply pointing /home to the same partition without overwriting saves a lot of grief, even though I do back it all up weekly.

Thanks for all the advice!

Julian